With January being a traditionally tough month; cold dark days and nights, the after Christmas slump and the long road to pay day
many of you might be feeling that blogging has become a drag.
Why not give things a bit of TLC?
- Freshen up your blog header with a bright new picture. Freshen up the Blog description tag line.
- Update your “About Me” page.
- Change your sidebar widgets, add new ones, get rid of old ones, or change the order they are in.
- Look at the “pages” you are displaying are they old and need taking down or changing?
- Plan some new themed posts, challenges, advice, top tips, interviews for the next couple of months.
- Check out the annual April A-Z Blogging Challenge, the sign up page will be open on January 25th (2016) This is a great way to meet new bloggers and get new traffic to your blog. All you have to do is prepare and post 26 posts using the letters of the alphabet, they can be about anything, or from a theme, your choice. The letter A gets posted on April 1st and so on, Sundays are a rest day, so that letter Z posts are on April 30th. Bloggers from across any platform take part, the idea is to find a visit new blogs, the sign up list will give you links to all the bloggers, often showing the theme of their blog, like music, film, handicrafts, books etc Here is a link to the main A-Z page http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/ where there will be banners and badges that you can use on your blog posts. Plus there is a Twitter community supporting the challenge with Hashtags etc.
What do you do when your blog hits a slump?
Catch Up with all my other Wednesday Wing Posts for more TLC ideas
Checking your WordPress is linked to your Twitter helps others share your posts http://wp.me/p2Eu3u-7L2
Writer’s Craft books by Rayne Hall full of REALLY useful tips http://wp.me/p2Eu3u-7Ma
Hyperlinks, Short links and Linkys http://wp.me/p2Eu3u-7Rl
Making your post titles easy to share on Twitter to maximise views. http://wp.me/p2Eu3u-7SA
Creating Twitter pics that fit http://wp.me/p2Eu3u-7Y4
Creating a slideshow on WordPress http://wp.me/p2Eu3u-7Yo
Getting the most out of Google+ posts http://wp.me/p2Eu3u-7YM
Automated Tweets, LOVE ‘EM or HATE ‘EM? make use of them http://wp.me/p2Eu3u-7Za
What’s Your Book Genre? http://wp.me/p2Eu3u-84S
Should you write dreams into your work? http://wp.me/p2Eu3u-84Q
What can I read in the first 10% of your book? http://wp.me/p2Eu3u-84W
Dialogue – he/she said http://wp.me/p2Eu3u-87T
Creating Twitter Lists – http://wp.me/p2Eu3u-8ck
Making best use of your Twitter “Thank-You” http://wp.me/p2Eu3u-8cn
Should you write a book series? http://wp.me/p2Eu3u-87R
Book Clubs Love ’em? Or Hate em? http://wp.me/p2Eu3u-8JQ
Rosie, what a brilliant idea! I have been mulling over my barrowblog site and my own web pages and thinking i should make great changes. Love the A-Z inspiration.
Great to hear my advice is well timed.
Reblogged this on Barrow Blogs: and commented:
Hi Rosie – great ideas .. the A-Z is such fun and we meet some wonderful new bloggers, who become friends. Cheers to all – Hilary
Thanks Hilary, we met via the A-Z and just shows what a good challenge it is.
Always good stuff here….
Thank you Carol.
I love the idea of changing the order of the widgets. It’s so simple, and yet regular visitors will automatically notice the change and have a mooch around for other alternations, keeping them on your site for longer. Love the Wednesday Wing, Rosie 🙂
Exactly Shelley, it’s like adding a new lick of paint to your house or some new cushions and throws to your chairs, it spruces things up and visitors will look with new eyes.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks, Rosie. I’ve just moved to a new blog and I’m trying to find my feet there. There are always fascinating challenges that I’d like to take part on but I usually have too many other things going on… I wonder if I could get myself organised for the April one. It would definitely be a shakeup!
Blog posts for the challenge don’t have to be long, in fact short fun posts are encouraged because you can get a lot of traffic, but with a short reading time as they want to visit as many posts as they can.
These are great ideas! Thanks Rosie😊
Smart suggestions, Rosie. We must remember that we’re competing with our followers for their time and their interest, which is as easily lost as gained. Thanks! 🙂
Yes, my blog stats tell me I have over 1400 followers, I’ve certainly lost a few on the way, we all will have, keeping and gaining more needs work.
Great post! I have some new ideas for my blog – it’s just finding the time to implement them.
Great ides, Rosie. Like anything else, we tend to get tired of the way our blog looks. I did the A-Z a couple of years ago. It was fun, but would be more so if planned out ahead of April 1.
Hi, Rosie – I don’t feel like my blog is in a slump. However, i think the blogger (me) is. Oy Vey! Maybe it’s because the days have been shorter. 🙂
January can be a hard month to push through.