Welcome to my new feature called Wednesday Wing where I’ll be passing on
observations, tips and information to readers I’ve made a note of.
Today I’m passing on a tip about creating a slideshow on your WordPress blog. This can create a new dimension to a post.
It can be inserted into a post or set up with a widget on your side bar.
A slideshow as part of your post (using pictures already in your media library)
- When writing your post, go to the “add media” button on the top of your draft.
- At top left of screen click on “Create Gallery”
- Click on all the photo’s you wish to use in your show from your media library
- At the bottom right of the screen, click on “Create New Gallery” – the chosen pictures appear and can be moved in a new order, add captions if required.
- At the right of this screen are boxes, find the bottom one saying “Type”. Click on the down arrow and highlight the “slideshow” option.
- Then at the bottom right of the screen click on “Insert Gallery”
- The Pictures now appear in your draft post, they will be static in the draft, but if you go to the preview option (top right of draft post) you can see them in action.
A slideshow as a sidebar widget
- Go to “Appearance” on the left hand menu list, then “widgets”
- Drag a “Gallery” widget from the left hand list of widgets to the sidebar list. Choose its position amongst your other widgets.
- The widget opens. Create a “Title”
- Click on “Choose Images” you have a choice of “Select Files” from your computer or click the top left button “Add to Gallery” which will go to the pictures in your WordPress media library.
- Follow from step 3 -6 in the above list
- Then click “Save” in the Gallery Widget and “Close”. Exit the widgets and go to your front screen and check your slide show.